Sunday, August 26, 2012

First high puff and pompadour...Blues look

I wouldn't be me without a flower in my hair.
Hello everyone!  With my hair growing out I have noticed that certain styles I did on my shorter hair just don't work out any more.  So, I love my curly fro hawk but it no longer looks good on me.  I did some research and found out the many naturals have been using banana clips to make fro hawks.  I purchased a three pack of clips for about $4 dollars at Walgreens and decided to play with my hair Thursday night.  Well, let me tell you that my hair may have a thinned out spot in the front, but everywhere else it is super thick.  All that clip did was snap open every time I tried to clip my hair.  So, after digging around in my hair stuff I came across some little tiny ponytail holders.  Since I was playing with my hair I thought "why not".  To my surprise I gathered all my hair and this little holder held my hair.  I was able to pull and fluff my hair to show case my curls.  This tiny little holder held my curls all day long and I never had to worry about a snapping clip and all my hair falling out.  

So, on Friday I decided to try a high puff with a pompadour in the front.  This was done on day 3 wash n go hair so I had some frizz, but still mostly curls.  I used some water to spritz my hair, then a little conditioner, and some Mop Top gel to slick the hair in the back and sides.  I used two pins to hold the pompadour down in the front. 

First of all this is my first high puff and second, I was totally blown away with the compliments.  I got so many compliments at school that I was thinking I need to do this more often.  A teacher friend of mine said my hair reminded her of Billie Holiday.  Wow!  Hello!  She loved wearing flowers and so do I.  So, I'm calling this my Blues look.  I still love my curly fro hawk and I plan to figure out how to do that style with longer hair.  As for my banana clips, well I'm thinking about donating them since I have only "tried" to wear one the other two are brand new.  Until next time...
Blessings!

12 comments:

  1. And the fun begins. Enjoy this new stage of your hair journey, where old styles don't work anymore and you have to discover new styles that will. This one is cute, a good look on you.

    Darn those pesky banana clips! Find them a new home if they refused to cooperate with you. That'll teach them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say that this is kinda fun. Next time I will try to get a picture of the back of my head or maybe a side view. I would offer you my banana clips, but I know your hair will laugh at them. Maybe my niece.

      Delete
  2. You can totally do the frohawk look with bobby pins!! And that high puff looks awesome on you :) I think there's something about when us naturals pull our big curly/kinky hair back and away from our faces that totally gives us a different look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to find a you tube video to watch so I can try. It's hot here in MN so wearing my hair up is not only stylish but cool.

      Delete
  3. I AM NOT SURPRISED BY THE BILLIE HOLIDAY COMPLIMENT BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS HAVE BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS. HERE IN LONDON I CAN4T FIND SUITABLE ONES. I CAN SEE THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO STRUGGLE WITH THE CLIPS. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought my flowers from amazon.com and I love the Billie Holiday compliment. If your hair is very thick clips are just impossible to use to hold a lot of hair.

      Delete
  4. Now see a while back you couldn't get it in a puff. Before you know it, it will be down your back! How long do you want to grow it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how long I plan to grow my hair. It's more like I want my natural curly hair to be bra strap length. I'm also part of a hair length challenge that goes to June 2014.

      Delete
  5. You look so gorgeous!! This style really suits you! The flower is also a great plus! It's amazing how time flies and before you know it you can't wear your hair in a certain way anymore and have to find new styles!
    Don't give up on the banana clips...I also didn't use mine for ages after purchasing it...You just have to be patient with it...let your hair grow out some more and play with it. Right now it's top on my accessories list.

    DatFunkyFro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to keep one clip and I gave my niece the other two. I'm hoping that as my hair grows out it will eventually go down. Maybe then I can figure out how to style my hair with a banana clip.

      Delete