Sunday, September 9, 2012

Zucchini bread kind of weekend


Tomato thief caught red pawed and looking guilty.
The evidence, half eaten tomato.














Hello everyone!  This weekend has been busy.  I got all my homework done on Saturday leaving my Sunday wide open.  I finally got some tomatoes worth canning and to my demise I found that two of my very large heirloom tomatoes were half eaten and left to rot on the ground.  At first I thought "do squirrels eat tomatoes?".  Then I caught my little dog Peanut Butter nibbling on a tomato right on the vine!  Can you believe my mutt is eating my tomatoes?  Hello!  At first I was really mad, but then I had to get my camera and take a picture of her looking all guilty and of course the evidence of a half eaten tomato.  My son chased her around the backyard saying over and over "leave the tomatoes alone Peanut" and "not yours".  It was so cute!  My son chasing the dog and the dog looking and acting like her paw was caught in the cookie jar.

Anyway, back to my zucchini.  I made six loaves of zucchini bread today and I still have enough zucchini to probably make six more loaves.  I bought about twenty dollars worth of supplies to make my zucchini bread.  So, if I get 12 loaves that's $1.66 per loaf.  Not bad.  I found a recipe that I liked and I swapped out using whole wheat flour instead of all purpose.  I found that when you swap out all purpose flour with whole wheat flour you need to add some water to moisten the batter.  Well, it only took the hubby one batch to demand a loaf for work.  So, two loaves became four, then six and tomorrow I'm making two more loaves because I still have some zucchini left.
Zucchini bread cooling.

Here's the recipe I used.  Let me know if you try making this bread.  If you prefer to use all purpose flour just omit the water.  Until next time...
Blessings!

Mom's Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup water
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, water and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife alone the edges then remove bread from pan, and completely cool on rack.  Bread can be frozen.

Click here to watch the video to make zucchini bread. 

14 comments:

  1. It is! I had some yesterday and this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post for a foodie like me.LOL.
    Love the look on Peanut Butter-Too cute!
    Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Maybe I will get up the nerve to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yummy. I've gained 3 pounds since Sunday because all I do is eat zucchini bread.

      Delete
  3. I WILL DEFINITIVELY TRY IT THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, but I eat whole wheat all the time.

      Delete
  4. Just for a second, I could smell it. It looks good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house smelled like zucchini bread for about a week. It was delish!

      Delete
  5. Excuse me . . . since hubby demanded a loaf for work, I'd like to submit my demands as well. You'll have to ship mine. I'm waiting by the mailbox.

    In the meantime, I wanted to share with you that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. The details are on the Slim at http://slimwavy.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    I know that you are very busy with life, school, baby and your guilty tomato eating doggie (What was the other dog doing . . . serving as a look out? You know they had a meeting about those tomatoes!) but do what you can IF you can.

    And I just might try the recipe. I sent it to my daughter, too. She loves to bake and since her dorm actually has a kitchen . . . why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the award! It might take me all week to do it. I'm going to a family reunion the first weekend in Oct and I'm trying to get a little ahead in my homework. The mutts are either driving me crazy or making my laugh my head off. Peanut loves tomatoes, while Luigi isn't in to it. If you or daughter try the recipe let me know how it works out for you.

      Delete
  6. That looks really good Jen:)
    I nominated you for the versatile blog award
    http://www.coilybella.com/2012/09/the-versatile-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have nominated you for versatile blog award. Please visit my blog for more details. http://deepbrownkinks.blogspot.com/2012/09/versatile-blogger-award.html
    The bread looks great...I'm going to share this with my sister who loves to bake. Hopefully, we will be able to get all the ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread has all been eaten it was very good. Thank you for the award and I will respond this weekend.

      Delete